Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm back...

And I have gotten so far behind! So, some photos to catch you up on what has been going on.

Leslie, Ken and Smiley took a trip to the Halemaumau crater that is active on Kilaeau. Here is a good shot of the crater and the plume of smoke from the lava lake that formed this year.
On another day, we went down to Kaimu to water our palm grove. This was an area that used to be in the ocean, but the land was extended during the 1990 lava flow. This was somewhat heartbreaking because it covered one of the most beautiful beaches - and surf breaks - on the island. But, people have planted thousands of palms to help bring it back. The Karst Klan has planted a small grove of nine since 1992. Here we are tending our palms. In the background is a guy bringing fertilizer to a palm he planted two years ago.
Here are the remains of the containers we used to water by a palm (not ours). Rosie was confused by this outing.
After the work was complete, Rosie relaxed on the new Kaimu beach by our grove.
Here is a view of some palms planted by others. The smoke plume in the background is where lava is entering the ocean a couple of miles away. Between the smoke from the crater and the smoke from the ocean entry, the bad news is that the vog (volcanic smoke) has because absolutely horrible. The good news is that it blows to the Kona side. Don't visit the Kona side now. You will be really disappointed. It looks a lot like California looked during the fires this summer. Not pretty and it smells. Bad for your health. Come to Hilo. Clear and fresh!
As for what work I have been doing at the house, we bought a lot of furniture that needed to be refinished. Two large tables (thanks Yami and Phil!), a coffee table, three end tables and five chairs. All this furniture cost us less than $100. So, here I am with all the tables that have to be done.

And here is one of the tables finished. It is our puzzle table. (A Karst family tradition is to always have a puzzle in process.) For larger puzzles, we can bring up a flap.

While I was working on this stuff, Leslie and Smiley were putting things on the wall and began working on the garden. Here is our "aquarium" in the dining room.
More soon. I just wanted to put something on for my (two) fans to look at!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Add a fan! I love your blog! It makes me miss the Big Island, and very eager to get there in less than two months ... we've never had trouble with vog when we've been there, but the first week we were there in January the winds were blowing very hard over on the Kona side. You had to hold tightly on the doors to keep them from slamming, and there were hooks on the to keep them from blowing open.

Lynn said...

Add another fan! Took me a while to catch on, but I am now addicted to your blog(s). More posts!

Nora Lennox said...

WOAH! Lynn just posted her very first comment less than an hour before I decided I must also post my very first comment on your blog, and I swear we didn't even talk about it! Hi! Loving the blog (actually blogs, i read your other one regularly as well!). Keep posting pictures! and stories! and tell Leslie I say hello please.