Sunday, October 5, 2008

Joe, John and the Dolphin Bay Hotel - thanks

As I mentioned in my last blog, we bought more furniture from a couple soon leaving the island. We were supposed to pick it up Friday morning. To that end, we borrowed a truck from Casey but it needed to be returned that evening for her commute home. But, Friday morning Leslie woke up with a really bad back. She isn’t sure from what – the move that day with Robert, a long day in the garden, sitting in an awkward position because she has a bum knee – but she couldn’t really move at all.


So, what to do? In Santa Cruz, I would have just headed over to San Lorenzo Lumber to get a day laborer. But, it became clear, it is harder to find a day laborer on the street here. I tried Craig’s List but no one was home. Then, I turned to John Alexander, manager of the wonderful Dolphin Bay Hotel, for suggestions, as he always knows everything about Hilo. And, he came through with a very sweet guy, Joe, who works as a part-time hand around John’s property. Without first asking him, John told me to pick Joe up at 10:00 am. (John said he would call me back if Joe couldn't do it, but he assumed - I think rightly - that he would not refuse any work. )

We had two difficult things to move down three flights of stairs along with several fairly easy things. One of the hard things was a king sized mattress; the other was a heavy La-Z-Boy loveseat. Man was it tough getting that mattress around the corners! And, just generally hard all the way through. But, Joe kept saying "you are a strong missus" so I guess he thought I was doing ok. We were both sweating like Richie Havens when we finished. (If you don’t know Richie and how much he sweats, feel free to view this excerpt from Woodstock: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=fA51wyl-9IE&feature=related When the video gets to around the 4:00 minute mark is when he starts showing off the product of his always profuse glands.)


After the job was done. He may not look it but, trust me, Joe was really happy that it was over, too.

Leslie was really glad to have missed that move! It is now Sunday and she is taking it easy. I will ask her how she feels right now:

Robin: Leslie, how are your back and knee feeling now?
Leslie: Better. I mean, they are getting better everyday. They feel fine right now but I am sitting on my butt.

By the way, if you are ever in Hilo and we aren’t here to host you – make sure you do stay at the Dolphin Bay. It is a very clean, comfortable and well-priced hotel. All the rooms have kitchenettes, and he gives you really good coffee and tasty buns in the morning plus fresh fruit from their trees whenever available. And John knows everything – including where to find hot lava and, it turns out, where to get a day laborer should you need one. Tell him I sent you – not that he will care in the least…. http://www.dolphinbayhotel.com/cgi-bin/dbay?

John in front of the reception area at the Dolphin Bay from February of 2006

No comments: